The most common health problem that happens to all of irrespective of age difference is a headache. A serious headache can be a major turn off as it affects everything that you do. Your work, your routine, and even your mood feeling a bit cranky? It’s probably because you have a headache.
What is a headache?
If you feel a sharp or throbbing sensation of pain anywhere in the region of the head or neck, then this pain is usually referred to as a headache. There are 3 types of headaches.
Types of headaches
This is probably that most common type of a headache that almost happen to everyone once in a while. This pain has a constant pressure that is felt rather than throbbing. The affected area is usually the both sides of the head or the back of the neck or/and head.
This headache is usually triggered by tension, anxiety, stress or bad posture. These headaches aren’t usually severe, but at times they do become chronic.
These are short lived one sided headaches that usually lasts around 15 minutes to 2 hours. They could occur anytime, once a day, a month or even a year or it could hit you multiple times in one day.
But when to do occur, the pain becomes so excruciating that cluster headaches are also known as a suicidal headache. They are more common in men than women, and they are mostly triggered by smoking, alcohol, certain foods, and high altitudes.
They are more common in women than men, and they are very severe. Genes have a role to play if you have a migraine. The blood vessels in the head shrink. Therefore you feel sharp sensations of pain in the temple area of your head.
Change is also a reason for a migraine. If you have this kind of pain after a diet change then go back to your previous diet as the new isn’t suiting you well.
Top 10 home remedies for instant relief from headaches.
Headaches are a common problem that happens to everyone every once in a while regardless of your age. Therefore people resort to over the counter medicines which is like killing an ant with a nuclear bomb. Hence you don’t need antibiotics to treat common headaches as they can be cured easily with these top 10 home remedies that are guaranteed to provide instant relief.
For ages, ginger has been reacted as a miracle medicine for treating headaches. It helps in digestion as well and kills that nausea feeling that you have during headaches. Ginger can be used in the following ways.
- You can chew pieces of crystallized ginger candy.
- You can boil raw ginger or ginger powder in water and inhale the vapors that come out of it.
- You can mix equal parts of lemon juice and ginger juice. Consume it daily, once or twice a day depending on the severity of a headache.
- You can also make a paste of one teaspoon of dry ginger powder also known as sonth, and two tablespoons of water, mix it well and apply on the forehead for a few minutes.
2. Mint Juice
Mint’s primary component in relieving pain is menthol which helps open up clogged blood vessels and regulates blood flow in the body. There a few ways in which you could use mint or mint juice to get some relief.
- Mix mint juice with almond oil and gently massage the temple are. This helps greatly in getting quick relief.
- Just be sniffing mint leaves you can get instant relief from pain
- Make an herbal tea by adding mint juice and lemon juice in boiling water and honey as a sweetener. Sip the tea slowly.
Basil has many uses, and one of them is that it works as a muscle relaxant, which has analgesic and calming effect which makes it a helpful treatment for minor headaches that are caused by tense muscles. Basil can used in the following ways.
- You can chew a few fresh basil leaves or massage your forehead with basil oil mixed with any base oil.
- You can also inhale steam, by adding a few drops of basil oil or one tablespoon of basil leaves to a pot of hot boiling water. When the mixture starts to evaporate, inhale the steam carefully.
- Make a herbal basil tea by adding a few basil leaves in a cup of boiling water, simmer it for a few minutes and if you have a sweet tooth, then you can add honey and enjoy your herbal basil tea.
4. Lavender Oil
If you have a severe headache or even a migraine, then all you need to do is sniff the soothing scent of lavender essential oil which will significantly help in relieving pain. You can use the lavender oil in the following ways.
- You can inhale lavender by adding two drops of it in boiling water and inhale the steam it gives off.
- You can use it to massage your head forehead, just add lavender oil with one tablespoon of any essential oil such as olive oil and your mixture oil for head massage is ready.
5. Ice Pack
The ice has a numbing effect, and it also helps in reducing the inflammation that usually happens during severe headaches. The ice pack can be used in the following ways.
- If you have a migraine, then you can apply an ice pack on the back of your neck to get instant relief from pain.
- Another way to reduce inflammation is to place a towel type cloth dipped in ice cold water over your head. Repeat the process multiple times to see quick results.
- In place of wet, cold cloth, an ice bag can be used. Fill the bag with ice and place it over your head. In about half an hour you will feel noticeable relief.
Rosemary oil has the rosmarinic acid in it that has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties that help in treating a headache. Rosemary oil can be used in the following ways.
- You can use rosemary oil mixed with any carrier oil and massage your forehead and temples to get relief from pain.
- You can also make an herbal tea by adding one tablespoon of crushed rosemary leaves along with one table spoon of crushed sage leaves in a cup of boiling water. Let it cool to room temperature and then drink it. Drink this tea twice a day for instant results.
Cloves have a cooling and pain-relieving properties that can be used to ease tension headaches. Cloves can be used in the following ways.
- You can inhale the scent of cloves by gently crushing it and then placing it in a clean handkerchief. Keeping inhaling the scent and soon you’ll feel relief from pain.
- Next, you can do mix clove oil with any carrier oil and use it to massage your forehead and temples.
- Clove oil goes well with coconut oil, make a mixture of both by adding two tablespoons of coconut oil and two drops of clove oil and finally add two table spoons of sea salt. Use this mixture to massage your forehead.
You must’ve heard that “An Apple a day keeps the doctor away” this is, of course, true as Apple and Apple cider vinegar both have such properties that can balance the alkaline and acid level in the body hence giving you relief from pain. You could Apple and Apple cider vinegar in the following ways.
- Eat an apple with a pinch of salt sprinkled over it.
- Add two table spoons of apple cider vinegar to an entire glass of water and drink it.
9. Healthy and balanced diet
Yes, it is true that a healthy and balanced diet is crucial. The common culprit for severe and sudden headaches is a bad food. Cut alcohol and cigarettes, move them to a minimum, and you’ll soon feel a noticeable difference in your physical as well as mental health. A balanced with proper proteins and vitamins will keep your body fit and mind fresh, so it is imperative to eat right in order to stay fit.
- Set up a calendar and a diet plan which suits you best.
- Be sure that your diet is nutritious with balanced proteins
- Stop the habit of munching all the time, as it is not good for your health.
With a proper diet to need to stay in shape and to do that you need to exercise regularly. Exercising regularly can help in a number of ways, and it can also assist you if you suffer from headaches time to time. You don’t need to hit the gym and start heavy weight lifting. There a few simple exercises that you can do at home that can help you greatly in getting relief from headaches.
- Simple breathing exercises
- Simple head and neck exercises
- Yoga (this helps you calm and helps in getting relief from tension headaches)
While this may seem as very obvious and not worth mentioning but there is a reason why I have mentioned sleep as a remedy for headaches. Many of us are not aware that mostly an ordinary headache starts because of not getting proper sleep. Our body and mind need good rest before starting again. Therefore, it is must that we get adequate sleep. You may have noticed that pain killers put you to sleep therefore why use a drug to go to bed? When you can do it yourself. Sleep on a headache and it is most likely that it will disappear when you wake up. Hit the hay in proper time and for the right time to keep your mind fresh.
So there you have the top 10 home remedies that will definitely help you in getting relief from those nasty headaches. If a headache stays continuously for more than a day, then you need to see a doctor, as you will need a proper check-up to diagnose the root problem.