TOP 10 EFFECTIVE HOME REMEDIES FOR ASTHMA
- The most important aspect of dealing with Asthma, be it your own condition or someone else’s is to keep the surroundings and indoors free from the causative allergens.
- Our household contains a lot of accumulated dirt and particulate matter, so its very important to have minimum accumulation of dust, molds, dander especially, if there is a pet in the house and plants and flowers that may trigger an attack.
- Allergens in the kitchen -There are certain culinary products also that may precipitate an attack like mustard oil fragrance or many spices etc. which can cause respiratory irritation in an Asthmatic patient.
Remedy -2 –
- Keep your house free from pests and mites invasion. Go for regular pest control options to keep all these insects and microbes at bay.
- Caution -Do remember that the pesticides used for pest control are themselves very strong chemicals and care has to be taken while going for any such option.
- NO Smoking please – Stop smoking and say no to Tobacco altogether. Nowadays, cigarette smoking has been banned in public places in many countries.
- Tobacco smoke is one of the major trigger factors that are very irritating for the respiratory mucosa. So, it is better to quit this habit before it is too late for you to respond back to your health.
Remedy -4 –
- Watch your weight -Another important factor that all asthmatics need to take care of is a regulation of body weight.
- Obesity in itself is a troubling factor that causes impaired breathing. Due to excessive weight, the heart and the lungs have to work harder for breathing the same amount of air in and out of the lungs.
- This causes shortness of breath and exhaustion with even the slightest of physical work.
- In Asthmatics, where the respiratory system as well as the immune system are very weak, obesity becomes a secondary cause that may frequently aggravate the symptoms.
- Keep your mind and body relaxed and strive towards maintaining a peaceful state of mind. Stress, anxiety, depression and mental agitation can lead to all kinds of health problems.
- Asthmatics when under stress, experience more frequent attacks, aggravated symptoms and a depleting health condition. Such patients also find it difficult to respond to the medicinal treatment.
Remedy -6 –
- Honey is one of the best home remedies that is very helpful for easing out the dyspnea in asthmatic patients. A glass of warm water mixed with honey is very beneficial for asthmatics.
- According to Ayurveda, Honey has amazing qualities that can destroy and dissolve the phlegm stuck in the respiratory tree of the asthmatic patients. It is one such herbal remedy that is great for exercising long term control over Asthmatic condition.
- It evens out the irritation and inflammation of the respiratory tree. This relieves the spasm in the bronchi and leads to improved breathing.
Remedy- 7 –
- Eucalyptus oil is a great natural decongestant that is derived from the fresh leaves of Eucalyptus tree.
- It is very effective for maintaining a normal air entry in the lungs as it is a great bronchodilator.
- It can be used as an essential oil and as a natural fragrance in the bedroom or it can be used by sprinkling on a handkerchief and kept alongside by the bed side or in the hand bag.
- Whenever required, it can be used as a decongestant nasal puff for relief.
Remedy -8 –
- Garlic is another herbal remedy that is commonly found in the kitchen.
- Garlic has a hot potency and therefore acts as a destroyer of phlegm in the body due to this property.
- Garlic cloves can be consumed every day in the morning with warm milk by asthma patients.
- Alternatively, Garlic cloves can also be boiled in milk and then consumed for better relief in patients of Bronchial Asthma.
Remedy – 9 –
- Carom seeds or Ajwain is another very effective herb that is valued for its amazing benefits on the respiratory system.
- It can be consumed by drinking water having ajwain/ Carom seed extracts.
- Carom seeds can be soaked in the drinking water that is used by the asthmatic patient so that whenever he feels thirsty he is consuming this water and not the ordinary one.
- This helps relieve inflammation and congestion in the asthmatic patients.
- Breathing exercises are very effective in providing relief in all kinds of respiratory disorders.
- Asthmatics generally have a very limited air entry in and out of the lungs, due to which performing these exercises would become extremely difficult.
- But with regular practice, a few of the Pranayamas like “Anuloma” and “Viloma” can be practiced with great results.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan is MD in Ayurvedic medicine and an expert Ayurveda consultant from Chandigarh and practicing in Mohali, India. He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has been on various national/international TV channels for interviews and has written articles for various health columns in international newspapers. He has presented papers and given lectures at various national and international forums and congresses and offers free ayurvedic consultation to online patients.