Dandruff is a chronic scalp problem that is very common. It causes flaking of the skin on the scalp and is not contagious. Though this problem is rarely serious, it is important to treat it to avoid embarrassment. Also, controlling dandruff does not require major treatment or medication. It can be controlled using mild or medicated shampoos, depending on the severity of the problem.
Symptoms of Dandruff
The most common symptom of dandruff is itchy scalp and flakes of dead skin on your shoulder. The flakes can be oily looking. Your head may feel tingly and sore too. In case of severe dandruff, red, flaky and greasy patches may form on the scalp. This condition is usually known as Seborrheic dermatitis.
Causes of Dandruff
- Yeast: A scalp that is sensitive to yeast is at higher risk of getting dandruff. The condition may worsen during winters.
- Dry skin: Winter air and overheated rooms tend to affect people with a dry scalp. They may experience itching and flaking of skin, especially during winters.
- Hair brushing: If a person does not comb or brush his hair regularly and does not aid in shedding of his scalp skin, he may have severe dandruff.
- Skin problems like psoriasis and eczema can also lead to having dandruff.
- 5. Hair products: If the ingredients of your hair spray or hair gel do not suit your scalp, you may develop dandruff. It is advised to stop the use of such products immediately.
Diagnose and treatment for Dandruff
You can easily diagnose dandruff by simply noting its symptoms. You don’t need to get it diagnosed by an expert or doctor.
There are many shampoos available in the market that can be used to control your dandruff problem. These shampoos are medicated and contain certain ingredients that aid in dandruff reduction. These ingredients are as follows:
Coal tar – This is an anti-fungal agent that control dandruff. Shampoos containing coal tar can work wonders for you.
Salicylic acid – Shampoos with salicylic acid helps your scalp in getting rid of skin cells, hence reducing dandruff.
Tea-tress oil – This oil is added in shampoos because of its anti-fungal, antibiotic and antiseptic properties.
Ketoconazole – This ingredient also works as an anti-fungal that helps in treating dandruff.
Anyone can have dandruff irrespective of their age or gender. Dandruff lead to hair loss problem as well. Hair Loss due to dandruff is an extremely common scalp problem that affects a large number of people. Apart from using good shampoos, the person having dandruff will have to pay special attention to his treatment for hair loss and diet. Having food that provide zinc and vitamin B to your body can help in controlling dandruff. Dandruff treatments may differ from person to person, some may be comfortable with medicated shampoos and some may wish to control their dandruff using home remedies.