Top Health Hazards in your Home and How to Prevent Them

A number of health hazards appear commonly in homes in every neighborhood. These hazards can go unnoticed for a long time. They threaten the health and wellbeing of everyone in the household. Homeowners should be aware of the top health hazards today and the ways to prevent them.

Mold and Fungus

Mold and fungus can start growing anywhere in a home. Mold releases spores into the air that can make respiratory problems worse. The spores can trigger allergic reactions that make living in the house unpleasant. Certain molds can release mycotoxins into the air that have the potential to damage the body. Mold mostly forms in humid and damp conditions. It can form after a leak or flood. The way to prevent mold is to have the home inspected after plumbing problems or issues where water has collected in a room or basement.
Asbestos
Asbestos is a natural fibrous material that was once commonly used as a fire retardant in homes. Many older houses still have asbestos inside the walls or in attics and basements. Asbestos can cause serious problems like lung cancer if it starts to enter the air. Homeowners who suspect a house might contain asbestos should call professionals to inspect for the material immediately. Homes that have damaged or old asbestos will need to undergo abatement. Abatement will remove the asbestos safely without harming the rest of the house.
Rodents and Pests
Rodents like mice and rats can present a serious health hazard in the home. Rodents can carry diseases. These diseases can infect children, pets and adults. The droppings from rodents can spread germs and diseases to food. They can carry fleas that infest the home. Rodents could also start to gnaw away at wood in the house. The way to prevent problems with rodents is to call pest control specialists, like those at Rodent Control in Oakland, to inspect and treat the house. These specialists can eliminate rodents already in the home and take preventative measures to stop future infestations.
Radon
Radon is a radioactive gas that forms naturally in the ground and rises up into homes across the country. Breathing in radon exposes the lungs to radioactive particles. This can increase the risk of developing lung cancer significantly. Radon is the top cause of lung cancer in people who do not smoke. Every home should be tested for radon. Homes with high concentrations will need radon mitigation from professionals.
It is important to know what is going on inside of a house. Homeowners should regularly check each part of the home to see if there are any potential problems. A quick visual inspection can often show signs of rodents, asbestos or mold.

Reply